Castlederg Castle/Sir John Davies Bawn
- T: 028 7138 2204
- E: email@example.com
Commanding a site of once strategic importance on the River Derg where recent excavations have revealed the remains of a fifteenth century O’Neill Tower House which preceded the Bawn – a defended stone house built by Sir John Davies during the Plantation. The site represents not only years of fierce rivalry between the chiefdoms of the O’Neills and the O’Donnells but also between the native Irish and settlers. The Bawn would have been a refuge for planter families during the 1641 rebellion and was rendered unfit for occupation after an attack by Sir Phelim O’Neill. The ruins today consist now of a rectangular bawn with square flankers at each corner. Those situated by the riverside with one being washed away by flooding were open topped, providing a point for artillery. The flankers on the north side were roofed, forming part of the living area.
Signposted from Castlederg Main Street. Free Access.Interpretation available on site.