Ogilby’s Castle

Contact Details

Strabane District Council
47 Derry Road
Strabane
Co. Tyrone
Northern Ireland

Built in 1860, it was a very modern castle for the period, constructed entirely of Irish cut stone and surrounded by a wall of the same material. The stone was transported by horse and cart from Dungiven. When finished Ogilby’s Castle was vast and beautiful, lavishly furnished and with a banquet room that was reported to be unequalled throughout Tyrone, boasting among its guests Bishops and Politicians from London, Dublin and Belfast.

(For access to the site please seek permission of owner)

On main Dunamanagh – Claudy Road (B49).